A twist on tabouli made with Bulgar wheat, red and white quinoa were mixed together to add even more visual interest to this summer fresh salad.
- 1½ cups – quinoa (unprepared)
- ¾ cup – olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- salt to taste
- ⅓ cup – chopped chive
- 1 tablespoon – dried basil
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 2 cucumbers
- pepper to taste
Cook quinoa on stove top with 3 cups water on medium heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until all water is absorbed; sometimes I do this a day or two ahead and store in the refrigerator but not necessary.
- Fill a large bowl with the cooked quinoa.
- Whisk together olive, lemon juice, garlic, and salt then toss well with quinoa.
- Chop chives and layer on top of the quinoa.
- Layer basil on top of chives.
- Chop tomatoes and layer over basil.
- Seed and chop cucumbers and layer over the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle pepper over cucumbers, to taste.
- Cover and place in refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator and mix to incorporate the layers and add more salt if needed.
Let me know what you think of the recipe and where you served it.